Fire in the 2100 block of Columbia Ave.

Fire on Columbia Ave. causes extensive damage to Castlegar home

A house fire in the 2100 block of Columbia Ave. has left 11 people looking for a place to live.

UPDATE:

A fire that broke out Tuesday afternoon in a home in the 2100 block of Columbia Ave. caused $275,000 worth of damage andhas displaced the dwelling’s 11 residents.

Firefighters received a call around 1 p.m. Tuesday of a cooking related fire at the residence. All the residents made it safelyout of the home; however, one resident suffered from smoke inhalation and a minor burn. Firefighters were then able torescue two cats.

The fire department managed to put the initial portion of the fire out quickly, but the fire spread to the attic, which caused more of a challenge. “That was the tough part all of the little spaces in the attic, where you get modifications of construction it leaves a lot of little areas to get into,” said fire chief Gerry Rempel. There was extensive damage done to the rafters and the attic.Eleven firefighters, three pump trucks, police and ambulance were on scene during the incident. By 4 p.m. fire crews had the fire out. One firefighter received a minor injury, but Rempel reported he was fine the following day.

The home has three rental suites, and the two families and several college students who were living there will now have to find somewhere else to live.

Rempel used the opportunity to remind people about fire safety. “You have to be careful about what you cook, and how you cook,” he said. “Some cooking oils can take right off pretty quickly.” He was also appreciative of the public’s response to having part of Columbia Ave. blocked off for the afternoon. “The public was really good, we really want to thank them for their patience.”