Sixteen local community organizations have received over $70,000.
Kootenay Savings Credit Union (KSCU) has announced that $23,000 in grants have been awarded through the Kootenay Savings Community Foundation for the fall/winter granting period. In addition, eight local community foundations have received a total of $50,000 between them.
The eight community foundations sharing the $50,000 are as follows:
- Columbia Valley Community Foundation
- Community Foundation of Castlegar & District
- Community Fund of North Kootenay Lake Society
- Kimberley & District Community Foundation
- LeRoi Community Foundation
- Nakusp & Area Community Foundation
- Salmo Community Resource Society
- Slocan Valley Community Legacy Society
“That $50,000 is divided amongst those eight, based on our membership in each of those regions,” explains Aron Burke, community liaison for KSCU.
Each community foundation will now decide how to share the funding they received in their own community.
“We gift it to them and we tell them they can in turn use that money to be awarded in the form of grants in their community,” says Burke. “The reason we do that is … it’s local people living in those communities that are making decisions on where the money goes. So they’re going to know better than anyone how to portion that money out and what groups would benefit best from it.”
The eight organizations receiving grants from the Kootenay Savings Community Foundation are as follows:
- Castlegar Hospice Society
- Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy
- Columbia Valley Arts Council
- Columbia Valley Greenways Alliance
- Columbia Valley Search & Rescue
- Health Community Society of the North Slocan Valley
- Kimberley Nature Park Society
- Take a Hike Youth at Risk Foundation
“One of our big ones for Castlegar was the Hospice Society,” said Burke. “They’re trying to establish a regional palliative care centre in the area so that was an important one for us to support.”
The next grant deadline for the Kootenay Savings Community Foundation is March 31, 2016. For more information visit kscu.com/Community/CommunityFoundation.