- Submit News Tip
- Trending Now
- Good News
- Photo Galleries
- Special Sections
- Contact Us
- Site Map
Two noteworthy Sheep Creeks exist in West Kootenay.
Seaton might be the most obscure townsite in the Slocan. You won’t find it mentioned in any history book.
Sayward on Vancouver Island and the former West Kootenay townsite of Sayward were both named after lumber magnate William Parsons Sayward.
The earliest reference to the future townsite of Sandon was in a letter by John Morgan Harris, dated May 19, 1892.
Sandon, the West Kootenay’s greatest ghost town, was named after Sandon Creek, in turn named for prospector John Sandon.
On July 8, 1910, the Nelson Daily News carried the first in a series of ads for the “First sale of lots in the Salmon Rapids townsite.”
Salmo is the Latin form of salmon and takes its name from the Salmon River (now Salmo River) that flows through it.
In 1892, prospector Mike Grady found hot springs bubbling out of holes in the rocks two miles up a mountainside from Upper Arrow Lake.
One hundred sixty-seventh in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names.
Robson honors BC’s ninth premier, John Robson (1824-92), although he never saw his namesake town.
Remac is a compound name taken from the principal locators of the Reeves MacDonald mining properties.
According to Kootenay Outlet Reflections, Queens Bay “received its name before 1883, when the Ainsworth Mining Camp opened.”
Of the few remaining railway siding signs in this area, Poupore surely ranks as the oddest.
Castlegar’s airport appears to have been designated the regional facility for West Kootenay around 1951.
Playmor Junction, at the intersection of Highway 6 and 3A, is one of the more recent additions to local toponymy, dating to 1968.
West Kootenay’s chief landing strip was born out of both collaboration and controversy.
The Slocan Valley community of Perry Siding was likely named for Charles Edward Perry (1843-1906), a civil engineer and land surveyor.
Today Paulson is a bridge, a backroad, and a highway, but originally it was a siding on the Columbia and Western Railway.
Park Siding, on the Nelson and Fort Sheppard Railway, a few kilometers northeast of Fruitvale, was named for nearby landowner Andrew Park.
Ahead of Local Government Awareness Week in BC, we study the complicated history of municipalities in our area.