Write-offs if working from home

Are you working out of your home to run your own business? Does your employer require you to have an office at home? Are you a fully commissioned, home-based sales person?

Having to use your home to aid in your earning of income may qualify you for home office expenses that can be netted against your income. But in order to qualify, there are Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) criteria to meet.

If you are self-employed, your home has to be the principal place of carrying on your business, or your home office must be used exclusively to earn income by meeting with clients or patients.

The space to assemble or manufacture products for sale may also contribute to the availability of this deduction.

In addition to meeting the above CRA criteria, if you are an employee who is required to work out of home by your employer, it is necessary for your employer to supply you with form T2200, Conditions of Employment, indicating that you are required to have a home office.

If you fit either of these two situations, then you can use your home’s heat, electric, supplies, repairs and rent (if applicable) apportioned by the square footage of the space you use for your office versus the entire home’s square footage.

A rule of thumb to steer clear of a CRA red flag is to keep that portion of your office space in your home under 15 per cent.

By the way, if your home office is used some of the time as the kids’ study hall, than you are supposed to reduce your office apportionment by the percentage of time it is used by the kids. Confused?

Those with their own business can also deduct proportionally the cost of house insurance, property taxes, municipal services and mortgage interest.

If you are an employee, you cannot use these unless you are a fully commissioned sales person, then you too can use these deductions, except mortgage interest. Now are you confused?

You may have noticed no mention of the home phone/cable or Internet. That’s because they are typically disallowed by the CRA. My recommendation is that you set up a separate business account if it’s an important expense.

Occasionally I am asked if depreciation on the home can be included in the home office expense calculation. I typically advise against claiming any capital cost allowance since this may adversely affect the principal residence capital gains exemption when the home is sold in the future.

Regardless of what and how much is available for your claim, the CRA will not allow your home office expense deduction to exceed your income for the year. In other words, your home expenses cannot create a business loss.

However the CRA is kind enough to allow any unused balance to be carried forward and used against future income. Of course, you must again qualify for the home office deduction.

However, if you have had a career change, don’t forget about this carry forward. If in the future you again qualify for the home office deduction, it can be used at that time.

Ron Clarke has his MBA and is a business owner in Trail, providing accounting and tax services.

Tax Tips & Pits runs the first and third Mondays until April. Email him at ron.clarke@JBSbiz.ca

Just Posted

Selkirk College students protest proposed tuition increases

Sudents’ union says this year’s 2 per cent increase puts education out of reach for some

Castlegar business owners report highest optimism in 3 years

Two-thirds of survey participants report business security or growth

Former ski champ and MLA’s son hope to open Castlegar cannabis store next month

Felix Belczyk and Ben Conroy are in the approval process for local Spiritleaf outlet

Born 1 pound, 11 ounces, Winlaw premature baby comes home

Indra Greaves was born at the Nelson hospital after just 24 weeks of gestation

Rebels beef up blueline as trade deadline closes

Tyson Soobotin, 18, was playing for the Nelson Leafs, and Elijah Havers, 17, joins the team from the Coyotes in Osooyoos

UPDATE: B.C. legislature managers accused of excessive travel, personal expense claims

Clerk Craig James, security chief Gary Lenz call allegations ‘completely false’

China demands US drop Huawei extradition request with Canada

China detained two Canadians on Dec. 10 in an apparent attempt to pressure Canada to release Meng

9 brains, 3 hearts: Some wild facts about octopuses

Things to know about the giant Pacific octopus, which is naturally found in the waters of the U.S. West coast, the Aleutian Islands and Japan

Hollywood announces 2019 Oscar nominations

Netflix has scored its first best picture nomination, something the streaming giant has dearly sought

B.C. man fined $10,000 after leaving moose to suffer before death

Surrey man was convicted last week on three Wildlife Act charges

‘Blue Monday’ isn’t real, but depression can be

CMHA encourages people to prioritize their mental health

Anti-pipeline group wants NEB to consider impact of emissions, climate change

Stand.earth filed NEB motion asking to apply same standard to the project as it did with Energy East pipeline

B.C. man charged in 2014 snake venom death of toddler

Henry Thomas was taking care of the North Vancouver girl the day before she died

Parole granted for drunk driver who killed B.C. RCMP officer

Kenneth Jacob Fenton will be able to attend alcohol abuse treatment, nearly three years after crash that killed Const. Sarah Beckett

Most Read