April 7 marks the start of National Dental Hygenists’ week, and all across Canada Dental hygienists will be working extra hard to educate their patients about how they can keep their teeth for a lifetime.
Top tips to keep your smile sparkling……
• Start teaching kids at an early age. Dental care should start as soon as your child’s first tooth appears, usually around 6 months. The Canadian Dental Association says that early Childhood Caries – also known as tooth decay – is the most common childhood disease. Tooth decay is a disease, it’s preventable. www.cda.com
• Use dental products that contain fluoride. Fewer than four per cent of cities in British Columbia currently has a fluoridated water-supply. Fluoride use helps to strengthen enamel, which protects teeth from decay.
• Daily tooth brushing and flossing decreases the amount of bacteria around and between your teeth and along your gumline. Regular plaque removal helps decrease the chance that you will develop tooth decay, gingivitis and bad breath.
• Protect your teeth from trauma by using a custom fit sport mouthguard.
• Avoid tobacco products. Gum disease is more common in smokers and the risk of oral cancer is much higher.
• See your dental hygienist for regular visits. They can detect early signs of oral cancer, chipped or broken teeth or fillings that may be due to clenching or grinding, gum disease and oral conditions from interactions with medications.
Dental hygienists specialize in the prevention of dental disease.
Don’t delay, book your appointment today.