The Brilliant Suspension Bridge observation deck was officially opened in a ceremony on Sunday, May 19.J.J. Verigin, executive director of the Union of Spiritual Communities of Christ, cut the ribbon marking the structure officially open.
Castlegar mayor Lawrence Chernoff and Regional District of Central Kootenay for Area J, Gordon Zaitsoff, made brief comments marking the occasion before holding the ribbon for Verigin during the ceremony.
A largely Doukhobor crowd assembled for the ceremony and a choir performed as well.
The date of the opening was chosen to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the completion of the Brilliant Suspension Bridge, which spans the Kootenay River and was built by the local Doukhobor community in 1913.
It was used until 1966, when a new bridge was constructed.
Years of work by many members of the community saved the bridge from demolition and it was declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 1995.