Penticton RCMP is working with Canada Post in an effort to recover a package, containing a rifle, stolen from a man’s front door. Pictured is the Savage 99C rifle, Series A, with a new Bushnell Engage 2.5-10x44 scope attached. The serial number on the rifle is D597026. (Dan Saver photo)

B.C. man frustrated with Canada Post after gun delivery stolen from front door

Penticton gun owner expresses frustration at method of delivery by Canada Post

Penticton RCMP is working with Canada Post to recover a package, containing a rifle, stolen from a man’s front door.

The rifle, a scope, two magazines and a sling belonging to Dan Saver was stolen from his Penticton motel room door on May 7.

The rifle and accessories, he explained, had been ordered online and dropped at his front door by a post office delivery person, without Saver being notified. Now, Saver is expressing his frustration at the method of delivery, stressing the package should have been left at the post office for him to sign and receive.

“I had stiff words with the post office supervisor here and said no one in his right mind would leave parcels at the door of a motel room where anyone could walk away with them,” stated Saver in an email.

“The post office should have a position of getting signatures from patrons at both ends like in the old days.”

The Savage 99C rifle, Series A, has a new Bushnell Engage 2.5-10×44 scope attached. The serial number on the rifle is D597026. The walnut material, he explained, has been refinished and the metal is a Cerakoted black finish. An American-made gloss black Leupold scope was also taken.

The rifle was ordered online from a seller in Ontario, and the scope from a seller in Victoria.

According to Saver, in total, the goods are worth about $1100. The bolt-action rifle, Saver explained, is not included in the recent gun ban announced by the federal government.

READ MORE: Feds ban more than 1,500 assault-style rifles in Canada

READ MORE: Okanagan-Shuswap gun club leaders react to Canadian government’s firearm ban

Saver said the items were purchased for his son as gifts. The rifle, similar to one that Saver shot during the army, was to be his son’s first. As well, the Leupold scope, purchased for another one of his son’s rifles, was to be his first of that quality.

In conversation with Canada Post, Saver said he was told the postal service is leaving packages at the door, knocking, and leaving, due to COVID-19.

He claimed he was home when the post office delivered the package, over four feet in size, but Saver said he never heard the knock.

“I was here that day when he supposedly left everything here, I was here, I didn’t hear anything,” said Saver.

He hopes shipping insurance, totalling $650, will cover the majority of the cost of the rifle.

From now on, Saver said he will be shipping items such as these through couriers instead.

He is currently in the process of formulating a letter to Prime Minister Trudeau and Canada Post CEO Doug Ettinger, asking them to return to the old methods of postal delivery.

“In the 50s and 60s, a guy would pull up in a parcel van and knock on your door, and if you weren’t there he would put a note on your door that said what time he was there, with a phone number, and you would call the post office… the guy would deliver it the next day if he knew what time you were going to be home,” said Saver.

“I think it makes sense… you don’t want anything stolen.”

Penticton RCMP confirmed May 12 that the incident is being investigated and the firearm is marked as missing or stolen. The firearm has been added to their CPIC system, and they continue to work with Canada Post as the investigation continues.

In response to a request for information, Canada Post said while the matter is under investigation, any further comment or clarification, “would not be appropriate”.

READ MORE: Search warrant leads to discovery of weapons, drugs, cash in Oliver residence

READ MORE: B.C. records just 7 new cases, 1 death as next phase of COVID-19 reopening inches closer

@PentictonNews
editor@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

guns

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Severe storm warning remains in effect for the Kootenays

Two special weather statements have been issued for the West Kootenay

‘I knew what he wanted’: Man recalls black bear chasing him up tree in Slocan Valley

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

No passenger flights at West Kootenay Regional Airport until at least September

This is the third time Air Canada has announced changes to flight operations out of the airport

Powerful thunderstorms called for the West Kootenay this weekend

Environment Canada issued a special weather statement Thursday afternoon.

QUIZ: Test your knowledge of the world of summer sports

In a typical year, there are plenty of summer sporting events and tournaments held across Canada

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Protesters rally against anti-black, Indigenous racism in Toronto

Police estimated the crowd to be between 3,500 and 4,000 and said there was no violence

Feds earmark $1.5M to support recovery of B.C., Indigenous tourism

B.C. money will be split between Vancouver Island and Indigenous tourism

‘We’re sick of it’: Anger over police killings shatters U.S.

Tens of thousands marched to protest the death of George Floyd

Join Kootenay family in virtual walk for Ronald McDonald House

“We always described it as our oasis in the middle of the desert,” Brigitte Ady shares.

Surrey mayor’s party under fire for ‘sickening’ tweet accusing northern B.C. RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Most Read