The Ricky’s All-Day Grill location in Nanaimo’s north end. (News Bulletin photo)

B.C. man who alleged racial profiling at restaurant wants end to dispute

First Nations man says customer service he received was different than other patrons

It wasn’t just a kerfuffle over creamers, says a First Nations man from Nanaimo, and that was what was concerning to him.

Brandon Gabriel’s dining experience at the north-end Ricky’s All-Day Grill location was all over Facebook this week after he alleged racial profiling at the restaurant.

Out for brunch on Tuesday morning with his three-year-old daughter and brother-in-law, the child drank all the creamers that had been set out on the table. Gabriel said when he asked for more creamers and a coffee refill, he was denied the creamers, told they were for coffee, not for children to drink. A couple at the adjacent table then asked for more creamers and their request was granted.

“I felt that there was a discriminatory-motivated excuse for [staff’s] actions,” said Gabriel, a member of the Kwantlen First Nation, who e-mailed a statement to the News Bulletin.

He asked to speak to a manager and he said the incident escalated into a “very confrontational situation” that made him emotional and upset. His Facebook post from that day, in which he alleged racial profiling in all-caps, has been shared nearly 2,000 times as of Saturday afternoon.

Ricky’s provided an e-mailed statement to the News Bulletin, saying “we take matters such as the incident reported … extremely seriously” and that it has been investigated.

“We would like to take this opportunity to state that while this incident was unfortunate, causing concern among guests at the restaurants and our loyal Ricky’s patrons across Canada, that no racial-oriented language or actions occurred by our staff. We apologize for any miscommunication or misinterpretation of the events,” the statement concludes.

READ ALSO: B.C. First Nation calls probe into arrest of indigenous man at bank ‘woefully inadequate’

Gabriel said he respectfully disagrees with the restaurant’s response.

“The debacle was hurtful for all involved, and nobody involved in the matter will come out of this feeling absolved by the event in a meaningful or conciliatory way by the looks of it at this juncture,” Gabriel said. “But I do wish that it ends on a much more respectful note.”

He told another media organization earlier this week that he wished for a public apology and a refund on his meal, but told the News Bulletin on Friday night that for reasons of privacy and a love for the Nanaimo community, he doesn’t want more negative attention on the matter.

“We wish to bring forth an end to this incident that occurred at Ricky’s Restaurant in north Nanaimo in a good way,” Gabriel said.

TODAY’S MOST-READ: Regional District of Nanaimo sees drop in new-construction value

YESTERDAY’S MOST-READ: Man with child porn charge in Qualicum pleads guilty to separate child luring charge



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Indigenous peoples

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Kootenay morning start: Discover the history and beauty of New Denver

Here is your morning start for Tuesday, April 7

PHOTOS: Procession lets Castlegar seniors know they are not forgotten

A car parade travelled to local seniors homes this week.

Columbia and Western Trail reopens to the public in Castlegar

A rockslide closed a section of the trail on March 25

COLUMN: The other graph that shows B.C. can beat COVID-19

Is the curve being flattened? data on hospitalizations provides a crucial answer.

Here’s how to talk to people who aren’t taking physical distancing seriously

Approach the conversation with empathy says conflict expert

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

As 500K+ apply for emergency benefit, Trudeau says aid coming for Canadians left behind

Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides $2,000 per month

Wearing non-medical masks can stop spread of COVID-19 before symptoms start: Tam

Health officials had previously not recommended wearing them

UPDATE: UK PM Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after COVID-19 symptoms worse

He has been quarantined in his Downing St. residence since being diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 26

Travellers, travel agents ‘in agony’ over refund policies and customer service

Many Canadian carriers are offering customers flights rebookings or travel vouchers — but not refunds

Introverted and extroverted kids likely to react differently to COVID-19 restrictions

B.C. child psychologist says your parenting approach can’t be one-size fits all in social isolation

Most Read