The deadline for candidates to enter the Castlegar byelection in just days away.
Nomination packages must be returned to the chief election officer at City Hall by 4 p.m. Friday, March 19.
To qualify as a candidate a person must meet the following criteria:
• You must be 18 years of age or older on general voting day (April 24, 2021)
• You must be a Canadian citizen
• You must be a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months prior to the date of nomination
• Not disqualified by any statute or law, from being nominated, elected or holding office
• Nominees must be nominated by two resident electors of the City of Castlegar
• Nominees (the candidate) are not required to be a resident or non-resident property owner in the City of Castlegar
More information can be found at castlegar.ca/2021byelection
So far three candidates — Kirk Duff, Gord Lamont and Florio Vasilakakis — have entered the race for mayor. One candidate — Shirley Falstead — has notified the Castlegar News that they have entered the council race.