A Friday morning call to Castlegar Fire Department related to a structure fire in the 3400 block of 8th Avenue. A press release from Chief Gerry Rempel described how the owners of the residence happened to be home at the time of the fire and noticed the smoke. One of the occupants reportedly extinguished the fire prior to CFD arrival. Smoke was ventilated from the structure by fire dept personnel.
Smoke and property damage are estimated at approximately $5,000. There were no injuries and the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental at this time.