Map showing the City of Castlegar's plans for Columbia Ave.

City of Castlegar seeks feedback on complete street project

The City of Castlegar is looking for feedback on its Columbia Avenue Complete Street Redevelopment Project.

The City of Castlegar is looking for public feedback on the redevelopment of Columbia Ave.

On Tuesday, May 31 city council and staff held an open house so the members of the public could ask questions and give feedback on the city’s Columbia Avenue Complete Street Redevelopment Project.

Phase 1 of the project will include the stretch of Columbia Ave. between 18th St. and 11th St. There will be a two-way bike lane on the west side of the street, separated from the roadway by a barrier dotted with intermittent streetlights and banners. The adjacent sidewalk will be planted with street trees. A two-way left turn lane will run through the center of the roadway and the sidewalk on the east side will have a guardrail separating pedestrians from a dropoff and retaining wall.

Phase 2 will be very similar, and will include 24th St. to Connors Rd. The bike lane will be on the east side, with sidewalks on both sides of the road. There will be no guardrail or retaining wall, but there will still be a two-way turning lane in the centre of the road.

The two phases will combine with the multi-use pathway connecting Sixth Ave. and 17th St. to form a continuous, safe route for cyclists and pedestrians.

“That was the first piece of the whole pedestrian-cycling plan because the connector is the bypass that gets people around the whole busy commercial and interchange area,” explained Chris Barlow, director of transportation and civic works. “So the next phases are building out from that connector piece.”

The city has also proposed a “bridge to bridge” connection between the overpass bridge at 20th St. and Sixth Ave. and the Kinnaird Bridge so that pedestrians and cyclists can access the path network on the other side. Both phases will also include improvements to underground infrastructure, including storm and sanitary sewer, water mains, and electrical and telecommunication lines.

The cost for Phase 1 will be $5.088 million and for Phase 2 will be $5.265 million. Depending on funding availability the city has applied to both provincial and federal infrastructure grant programs Phase 1 may be completed in 2017, with Phase 2 planned for 2018 or later.

Residents who attended the open house had the opportunity to ask questions and fill out a feedback form. Asked what kind of feedback he’d heard so far, Barlow said, “Just lots of questions. I’ve had some in favour, I’ve had some people that had some different questions on it.”

One resident told the Castlegar News he was generally in favour of the project, but had one concern.

“It’s long overdue; we’ve needed it for years,” he said. “I have a pet peeve: I’d like to see that turning lane removed.… I don’t think it’s used very much, except by guys that want to cut in on you.”

The City of Castlegar will continue to collect feedback on the project until Tuesday, June 14. To learn more and get a copy of the feedback form, visit www.castlegar.ca/notice.php?id=439.

 

Just Posted

Castlegar council meetings will soon be online

Council chambers will be getting new microphones and cameras.

Slocan Valley to be ‘lit up’ with high-speed internet in 12 months

125 kilometres of fibre-optic cable to be laid from Nakusp to Playmor Junction

Vigil re-affirms belief in peace, acceptance in wake of New Zealand massacre

Nearly 100 show up for solemn event at Mir Centre for Peace

Police bust drug operation in Castlegar

Man charged, will go to court in August

Zoning mix-up nixes Shoreacres property sale

Man says the RDCK’s listings online don’t match his property’s official zoning

VIDEO: The ‘most cosmopolitan’ of butterflies could migrate to B.C.

The painted lady butterfly will likely arrive this summer from Southern California

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

COLUMN: Smart phone too powerful a tool to yank from students’ hands

Rather than ban them from schools, let’s teach kids to harness their phone’s power and use it properly

Most Read