Enrolment issues continue

At last week’s inaugural meeting Superintendent for School District 20 Greg Luterbach said the district’s enrolment continues to decline.

  • Dec. 23, 2014 7:00 p.m.

Chris Stedile

 

Castlegar News

 

At last week’s inaugural meeting Superintendent for School District 20 Greg Luterbach said the district’s enrolment continues to decline.

He said the board was not too surprised by the fact that 85 less students are currently enrolled than this time last year.

Luterbach commented that this is a recurring trend and although they were hoping they were reaching the bottom of the decline, numbers have been dropping since before he arrived at the board ten years ago.

“When we started kindergarten enrolment last February we knew our kindergarten numbers would be less than we projected and so slowly over the summer we revised them down so it wasn’t a complete surprise. We sorta had our fingers crossed hoping for more though,” he added.

As the school district is under funding protection this will not affect the funds they receive.

Luterbach said, “The government has guaranteed no matter how many students, we get a baseline.”

In addition the district won’t see any facility changes based on the enrolment numbers.

Out of these 85 students the board stated that 50 of them came from kindergarten.

He elaborated on how they come up with this data.

“So, what we do is we get the birth data from Interior Health and then over the last seven years we look at how many kids are born in that area. Then ultimately how many kids, four or five years later end up in kindergarten. So we look at that trend and then project how many kids will be at each one of the schools based on the Interior Health data.”

He added, “Sometimes it’s above, sometimes below; that’s why we call them projections.”

On a more positive note, the province will be providing labour settlement dispute money in the amount of $617,301 dollars to the school district to help cover salary, benefits, and other increases.

However, Luterbach said this funding is a one time deal.

What the ministry has done is provide an amount of funding to each district in the province but this funding is a one time thing so the board won’t be able to progress much further with budget planning until the middle of March when the funding amount is announced.

“Until we know the funding numbers we can’t get too far ahead of ourselves,” he commented.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

VIDEO: Firefighters on scene at Castlegar house fire

The fire has since spread to an adjacent property

Zoning hearing scheduled for major Castlegar housing development

Phase two of Twin Rivers Estates needs a zoning change before moving forward

Pay guarantee removed for some Kootenay on-call paramedics

Guarantee phased out as BCEHS introduces a new “scheduled on call” model

No active confirmed COVID-19 cases in Interior Health: BCCDC

Numbers from the BCCDC’s dashboard show 193 of the 195 COVID-19 cases in the region have recovered

VIDEO: B.C. dentist gets grand welcome home after two months in hospital fighting COVID-19

Michael Chow was given a surprise send off by hospital staff and ‘welcome home’ from neighbours

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

‘Like finding a needle in a haystack’: Ancient arrowhead discovered near Williams Lake

The artifact is believed to be from the Nesikip period between 7,500 BP to 6,000 BP

Indigenous families say their loved ones’ deaths in custody are part of pattern

Nora Martin joins other Indigenous families in calling for a significant shift in policing

Friends, family mourn Salt Spring Island woman killed in suspected murder-suicide

A GoFundMe campaign has been launched for Jennifer Quesnel’s three sons

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Indigenous chief alleges RCMP beat him during arrest that began over expired licence plate

Athabasca Chipewyan Chief Allan Adam calling for independent investigation

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

UPDATED: Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park arrested

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

Most Read