Harry Sadd has been sentenced to eight years in prison. (RCMP handout)

Ex-teacher with West Kootenay ties sentenced in sexual abuse case

Harry Charles Sadd lived in Nakusp for about 10 years.

A teacher and coach with West Kootenay connections has been sentenced to eight years in prison for sexual abusing young boys.

Harry Charles Sadd, 74, was first arrested in Victoria in 2016 in connection with a series of alleged sexual assaults that were believed to have taken place in the 1960s and 70s.

RELATED: Victoria substitute teacher sentenced to eight years for sexual abuse of young boys

Sadd lived in Nakusp from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s, prompting the RCMP to reach out to West Kootenay residents in search of more victims.

By August 2017, 12 victims had come forward and Sadd was facing 23 counts of indecent assault and one count of sexual assault.

“Based on the Victoria Police Department investigational findings, the Nakusp RCMP has reason to believe that there may be other individuals who currently or previously resided in Nakusp that may have been victimized by Sadd,” said RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk at the time.

“It is possible that he may have targeted young males in the Nakusp area. We would like for any individuals who may have been victimized by Sadd or holds information regarding other victims, to contact us.”

RELATED: Police believe there are more sex assault victims in Kootenays

Sadd pleaded guilty to three counts of indecent assault and five counts of buggery related to seven victims. The incidents took place between 1970 and 1982 in Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt and 100 Mile House.

During the sentencing hearing the court heard that the victims were between the ages of nine and 13 when the abuse began and in some cases lasted for years.

Sadd admitted that there were more than 200 instances of sexual abuse related to one of the victims.

Sadd also lived in Hinton, Alta., for a period of time where he worked as a teacher, before being expelled from the Alberta Teaching Association for allegedly committing sexual offences against three boys. The allegations were dealt with in a tribunal, but not in a court of law.

Additional charges against Sadd are still pending in the courts.

With files from Ragnar Haagen, Kendra Crighton, Nina Grossman



betsy.kline@castlegarnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

CourtRCMPsex assault

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

PHOTOS: Procession lets Castlegar seniors know they are not forgotten

A car parade travelled to local seniors homes this week.

Columbia and Western Trail reopens to the public in Castlegar

A rockslide closed a section of the trail on March 25

Kootenay morning start: Discover the history and beauty of New Denver

Here is your morning start for Tuesday, April 7

B.C. wide burning restrictions come into effect April 16

‘Larger open burns pose an unnecessary risk and could detract from wildfire detection’

B.C. secures motel, hotel rooms for COVID-19 shelter space

Community centres, rooms reserved for pandemic self-isolation

Look at hospitalizations, not recovery stats for COVID-19, B.C. professor says

Cases in hospital are a definitive count of people who have the novel coronavirus

B.C. First Nations want to launch fight of Trans Mountain pipeline approval

Last month, the Supreme Court of Canada decided not to hear five challenges about the pipeline

N95 masks on the way for Canada after 3M reaches deal with White House

The Trump White House had ordered 3M to stop shipping masks to Canada

COLUMN: The other graph that shows B.C. can beat COVID-19

Is the curve being flattened? data on hospitalizations provides a crucial answer.

Here’s how to talk to people who aren’t taking physical distancing seriously

Approach the conversation with empathy says conflict expert

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

Most Read