A carbon monoxide detector was up to date in the home of a Castlegar family forced to evacuate last week. Photo: Lachlan Labere

Family safe after natural gas leak in Castlegar house

Castlegar Fire Department members and Fortis BC member attended incident last Friday

A family is safe after a natural gas leak in their house in the 3400 Block of 9th Avenue in Castlegar on Friday.

According to Castlegar fire chief Sam Lattanzio, the incident occurred at around 3:20 p.m. due to a leak in a small valve.

After the carbon monoxide alarm went off, a mother with two children and two dogs safely evacuated the home.

The mother called 911 from outside and firefighters and a Fortis Gas representative quickly attended the scene.

Upon arrival, crews checked to make sure the family was okay and that the house was safe for occupancy. The leak was also repaired.

“This family did exactly the right thing by calling 911 in this situation,” said Lattanzio.

“Unless it’s something obvious like your batteries need changing, you should always call 911 if your carbon monoxide detector goes off or if you smell gas.”

In this particular incident, Lattanzio noted the family had an up-to-date carbon monoxide detector.

The incident serves as an important reminder to install detectors in your home, according to Lattanzio.

“You should make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms that are less than 10 years old,” said Lattanzio.

“You’re also advised to have a detector in every bedroom or sleeping area of your house.”

Preventing indoor smoking, keeping the door between your house and the garage closed and not idling vehicles in your garage are other steps the Canadian government says can help to reduce the threat of carbon monoxide in your home.

READ MORE: With carbon monoxide, it doesn’t take a lot to be deadly


@connortrembley
connor.trembley@castlegarnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

UPDATE: Search effort underway for Slocan River drowning victim

The man was swimming near Winlaw on Wednesday.

No charges yet in death of Abbotsford officer Allan Young

Police and Crown say the investigation is still underway

Practical fashion: Local designers make supplies for Nelson dentists

Surgical caps and gowns have been in short supply for dentists during the pandemic

Kootenay doctor among 82 physicians, dentists calling on province for mandatory mask rule

Open letter says masks should be worn in indoor public spaces, public transportation or in crowds

Structures not threatened by wildfires burning in the Arrow and Kootenay Lakes region

Official says more lightning-caused fires could occur in region over next 36 hours

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

Smoker Farms bringing craft-style cannabis to Beaverdell

Husband-wife team growing small-scale cultivations of marijuana

Arson suspected in several wildfires lit near Kootenay town

RCMP making progress in arson investigation of Marsh Creek fires

Visitors and non-residents entering closed remote B.C. First Nation’s territories

With limited resources, they say they don’t have any authority or power to enforce the closures

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Acclaimed B.C. actor Brent Carver passes away

Carver, one of Canada’s greatest actors with a career spanning 40 years, passed away at home in Cranbrook

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Most Read