Festival shut down due to ongoing city labour dispute

The organizing committee has announced that the 19th annual Winterfest Family Celebration has been cancelled due to planned labour action

  • Nov. 27, 2014 6:00 p.m.

Winterfest Cancelled

Chris Stedile

 

Castlegar News

There will be no Winterfest celebration in Castlegar this year.

The organizing committee has announced that the 19th annual Winterfest Family Celebration has been cancelled due to planned labour action by striking CUPE city workers during the event.

The committee decided to cancel the event after hearing that some participants would not continue in the event if the CUPE city workers were maintaining a picket line.

CUPE 2262 issued the following notice in the form of a media release stating that “CUPE city workers will be maintaining picket lines during Winterfest, including the planned tree lighting on Dec. 5, 2014.”

“When we looked at the situation we found lots of people in the community would feel uncomfortable crossing the picket line. And if people aren’t going to show up you can’t run an event,” explained Castlegar Mayor Lawrence Chernoff.

“It’s a family thing and a community thing and the decision came down that if that was going to happen and they were going to picket then we couldn’t put up the event.”

“It’s a shame we have to cancel the event,” Chernoff continued, “but people respect the picket lines and won’t cross them and that’s fair to what’s happening out there. We don’t want to agitate people on the picket line. That’s not what we’re looking for; we’re looking for a solution.”

CUPE 2262 attempted to acquire a new venue for Winterfest.

In a more recent press release, Leford Lafayette, CUPE 2262 president said, “CUPE is hopeful that we can find something that works so that Castlegar families — including our own — can get together during this holiday season to celebrate and honour our commitment to community.

“Our picket lines are up at public facilities because we want to be at the table talking — we want a fair and reasonable contract — but so far city has refused to re-engage with us,” he added.

The Winterfest committee said in a press release that the event will remain cancelled due to a lack of time to make alternative arrangements.

It went on to say the committee has “worked hard to organize the 2014 Winterfest event and is deeply disappointed these actions have forced them to cancel the parade of lights and the opportunity for children to visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus in the Spirit Square.

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank the community, the numerous volunteers and the generous sponsors for your many years of support of this much anticipated annual celebration.”

 

Senior and exempt staff will continue to provide essential city services until the strike is resolved.

 

 

Just Posted

Castlegar council set to rule on three retail cannabis proposals

Residents have until Dec. 27 to comment on the business proposals

West Kootenay police take 18 impaired drivers off the road

Eight drivers were criminally impaired, says Sgt. Badry from West Kootenay Traffic Services

West Kootenay highways a mess as heavy snowfall continues

‘Roads are very icy, people have to be patient and have to slow down’

Nelson-area man wants trapping laws changed after dog killed

Louis Seguin’s 10-month-old Australian shepherd died in a body-gripping trap last month

Snowfall warning across the West Kootenay

A strong Pacific frontal system had Environment Canada issuing a snowfall advisory early Tuesday

Man caught on camera allegedly trying to defraud ICBC

Auto-insurer warns B.C. drivers to record info after crashes

Warning issued as forecast calls for 20-foot waves in Tofino

Dangerous waves, strong currents and upper-shoreline flooding expected for Tofino-Ucluelet area

An 800-pound pig named Theodore needs a forever home, B.C. society says

‘Theodore is not destined to be somebody’s bacon’

2,000 Canadians died of an overdose in first 6 months of the year

New data from the Public Health Agency of Canada shows the crisis is not subsiding

Teenager Alphonso Davies wins Canadian Men’s Soccer Player for the Year Award

Derek Cornelius and Chilliwack native, Jordyn Huitema were named Canadian Youth International Players of the Year

B.C. teen MMA fighter shows heart

Young Unity MMA competitors bring home Ws

Another B.C. city votes to ban single-use plastic bags

First six months of proposed ban would focus on education, not enforcement

UK Prime Minister Theresa May wins party no-confidence vote, but troubles remain

May won the vote of 317 Conservative legislators with a 200-117 tally

B.C. trustee’s anti-LGBTQ comments got him barred from schools

Barry Neufeld calls vote to leave him off liaison list ‘workplace discrimination’

Most Read