Crews responded to the incident at around 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Photo: Connor Trembley

Crews responded to the incident at around 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Photo: Connor Trembley

Fifteen people evacuate Treasure Shop in Castlegar due to reported gas leak

The incident closed a section of road downtown on Tuesday afternoon

Castlegar Fire Department (CFD) crews quickly responded to reports of a propane leak at the Treasure Shop at around 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday.

Approximately 15 customers and staff quickly evacuated the building and fire crews temporarily closed off 11th Avenue between Second Street and Third Street to traffic.

Store volunteer Doug Green said he thought he smelled gas while working in the morning.

“We were working out back in the shed helping to sort out different things for the shop. Every once in a while, we smelled what we thought was really heavy gas or propane,” said Green.

“We weren’t quite sure what it was, so I got an employee to call 911 and the fire department turned up really quickly.”

CFD fire chief Sam Lattantio said crews couldn’t find any propane or gas leak while inspecting the shop and adjacent properties.

Everyone evacuated and made it out of the shop safely.

In total, two fire engines and a fire truck responded to the incident.

This is the first time that a propane or gas leak has been reported from the building, according to Lattanzio.

The Treasure Shop and the section of road has since reopened to the public.


@connortrembley
connor.trembley@castlegarnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.