A Cherryville family’s home burned to the ground Friday morning, leaving them with nothing but the clothes on their backs. (Morning Star photo)

Fire destroys Cherryville home

Lumby and Cherryville community rallying around young family

A Cherryville family lost everything to a fire that destroyed their home Friday.

The Southfork Road house was consumed by flames. None of the occupants were home at the time of the fire, but the family lost everything they own, including a cat in the fire.

“It’s burnt down to the ground,” said Kyler Whitecotton, Cherryville fire warden.

“He (occupant) was just out in the field, feeding cows,” said Whitecotton.

There is no fire protection in Cherryville, therefore the home was left to burn.

“My dad and I are local fire wardens, but we don’t have the resources to do structural protection,” said Whitecotton.

RCMP are therefore responsible for investigating, but are in the early stages.

See also: Highway 6 cleared and power restored in Cherryville

Meanwhile the community is rallying around the family with support.

A Facebook post has been circulating in Lumby and Cherryville reaching out to anyone who can help the family.

“A young family in Cherryville just lost their house,” Kimberly Belanger wrote in Around the Block Lumby. “They have a 13-year-old boy and two elementary school girls. They lost absolutely everything and we’re trying to get them some clothes and pajamas etc., to get them through the next few days.”

Those who would like to help, especially with household items, are advised to comment on the post so the family can reach out and contact those who have offered.

“I know they’re a little bit overwhelmed right now and they’re not prepared to deal with any of this,” Belanger told The Morning Star.

With more than a dozen people who have offered to help so far, the response has been heart warming.

“I love this little community for situations like this,” said Belanger. “When families are in need we all rally together. Warms my heart. I’m so happy we moved here.”


@VernonNews
jennifer@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

 

Just Posted

Smoke from Ootischenia nothing to worry about

The smoke is coming from the burning of a large slash pile.

Downed power line closes Connors Road

Castlegar fire crews are on site.

Addition to Syringa Provincial Park protects winter wildlife range

35 hectares will be added to the park’s southeast boundary thanks to a private land acquisition

Selkirk College to make pitch for new student housing on campus

$25 million project would see new student housing built in Nelson, Castlegar

VIDEO: 13-year-old killed in B.C. crash that involved five kids

The children range in age from six to 17.

In a fight against cancer, Victoria man’s only stem cell match was his own donation

More mixed race and Asian stem cell donors needed, says Victoria family

MPs denounce leaked reports of Trudeau-JWR clash over Supreme Court pick

Opposition MPs called the leaks an act of desperation meant to smear Wilson-Raybould

Study says B.C.’s housing policies mean drug users can be targeted for eviction

The study involves 50 people living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside

VIDEO: Homicide team called in after three killed in Surrey car crash

Investigators ask public to come forward with information, dashcam video

Stranger climbs onto B.C. family’s second-floor balcony, lights fire in barbecue

Incident in Abbotsford terrifies family with two-year-old boy

UPDATED: Sailings resume after BC Ferries boat hits Langdale terminal

The Queen of Surrey is stuck on the dock, causing delays to Horseshoe Bay trips

Eviction halted for B.C. woman deemed ‘too young’ for seniors’ home

Zoe Nagler, 46, had been given notice after living in the seniors complex in Comox for six years

Coroner’s inquest announced for Victoria teen’s overdose death

Elliot Eurchuk was 16 years old when he died of an opioid overdose at his Oak Bay home

Most Read