The BC Coroners Service has identified Yahk resident Waylon Jesse Edey

Man fatally shot by RCMP had a history of impaired driving

BC’s Independent Investigations Office is investigating the shooting that occurred last week near Castlegar.

The 39-year-old man shot and killed by RCMP in Castlegar during an attempted traffic stop last week had a history of impaired driving and had received a three-year driving prohibition in February 2012.

According to court records, Waylon Jesse Edey was due in court in Cranbrook on February 15 facing charges of operating a motor vehicle while disqualified, driving while prohibited, and fleeing from police, following an incident on March 11 last year at Moyie.

In March 2011, he was sentenced to 14 days in jail and received a two-year driving ban after admitting to impaired driving in an August 2009 incident at Creston.

In February 2012, he received a 60-day jail sentence and three-year driving prohibition after being convicted of driving while prohibited and failing to provide a breath sample, following an incident at Kaslo in June 2010.

Police shot Edey on the evening of January 29 near the east end of the Kinnaird bridge on Highway 3. He was taken to Kootenay-Boundary Regional Hospital in Trail, but died soon after arriving.

The BC Coroners Service report released on Tuesday stated the man was from Yahk but according to several Kaslo residents, the man was born and raised in Kaslo.

BC’s Independent Investigations Office is investigating the shooting. Five investigators travelled to Castlegar last Friday, including a forensic specialist.

According to an information bulletin issued by the IIO, over the weekend the team reviewed the evidence that had been obtained from the scene and interviewed witnesses to the incident. One officer has been designated as a subject officer; one has been designated as a witness officer.

The IIO said these investigative tasks are “standard in this type of a critical incident.”

On February 4, Ralph Krenz of the IIO said the team is continuing with their forensic analysis. Krenz said there will be one of two outcomes.  If there is no criminal wrong-doing found or determined, a public report with a summary of what happened will be posted on the IIO website. The other outcome would be a report forwarded to the Crown.

“It’s important to remember that the IIO have a lower referral threshold to Crown compared to police,” said Krenz. “If it goes to Crown, they can issue a clear statement if they believe that there is no wrong-doing or it could proceed to court with charges being laid.”

— With files from Greg Nesteroff

Just Posted

NDP bring Green New Deal to the Kootenays

MPs Wayne Stetski and Peter Julian held climate change talks in Nelson, Cranbrook and Revelstoke

Elk River reclaims property as its own

Laws make it harder to protect private land than ever before says farmer, local government

Smoke-free summer a boon for West Kootenay tourism

Tourism centres seeing numbers up

Saving lives on grocery list for Castlegar responders on Wednesday

Crews attended local supermarkets three times during the day

Black Press Kootenay Career Fair underway in Cranbrook

Today, Thursday, August 22, around 40 employers will be waiting to meet potential new employees

New police force in Surrey must avoid VPD, RCMP errors made in Pickton case: Oppal

Boots are scheduled to be on the ground by spring 2021

Conan turns to the Property Brothers for tips on buying Greenland

Jonathan Scott suggests removing glaciers and mountains to bring in ‘more natural light’

Forests minister visits B.C. town hit by multiple mill shutdowns

A third of Mackenzie turns out for rally, not much to cheer about

B.C. sockeye returns drop as official calls 2019 ‘extremely challenging’

Federal government says officials are seeing the same thing off Alaska and Washington state

B.C. music teacher accused of sexual misconduct involving girls

Police believe other victims could be out there after the arrest of Lamar Victor Alviar

B.C. family stranded in Croatia desperate to come home

Funds being raised to bring back mom and two children

B.C. man on trial for daughters’ murders says an intruder broke in

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

‘Plenty of time for a deal’: Teachers’ union expects kids back in school on Sept. 3

BCTF says class size, composition at the heart of the issue

Most Read