Provincial court in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file)

Nanaimo man gets jail time for posting explicit photos of ex-girlfriends

Man’s name cannot be revealed to protect victims’ identities

A 31-year-old Nanaimo man has been sentenced to nine months in jail for secretly photographing explicit images of two former girlfriends and posting them online.

The identities of the man and women cannot be revealed due to a publication ban, but he pleaded guilty to one count of publication of an intimate image without consent and two counts of secretly observing and recording nudity in a private place. He was sentenced by Judge Ronald Lamperson in provincial court in Nanaimo on Wednesday.

Lamperson, citing an agreed statement of facts, said the man dated the first victim for a few months in spring 2013, but the relationship ended.

After, she noticed her Facebook profile picture was that of her passed out, with her shirt up exposing her buttocks. The photo was also sent to four of her male friends. The man admitted to posting the picture because he was mad about the breakup.

Despite the first victim being angry, the two began dating again, though casually, between December 2013 to April 2014, said Lamperson. During that time, she consented to photos of her in her underwear, but none involving nudity. The man tried to take nude photos, but she objected to that and of being filmed during sexual activity.

In May 2016, the first victim was notified that her photos were on a pornographic website and after going to the site, she saw 34 photos of herself. She reported this to Nanaimo RCMP and told police she also found photos of the second victim.

The second victim began dating the man in spring 2014. While the second victim initially abused alcohol to the point she would pass out, she eventually stopped and focused on bodybuilding. Lamperson said the man became angry because of “the reduced sexual activity.” The victim caught the man filming while they were having sex and told him to stop and told him he couldn’t film her without her permission.

The second victim’s sister was alerted by the first victim about the photos and videos on the X-rated website in May 2016. The second victim went to the site and saw up to 30 nude photographs of her when she was unconscious. One photo saw the man digitally penetrating her and the man had included vulgar and violent comments about raping and drugging her.

The second victim angrily confronted the man and demanded he delete all material. He said it was a mistake and files were deleted, but she didn’t believe him. The man was asked to leave a residence they had been sharing in June 2016.

After complaints by the two women, RCMP began an investigation in October 2017 and the man was arrested. Both victims confirmed images were taken and posted without their consent.

In a victim impact statement, the first victim said she “comatosed herself with alcohol” after the Facebook incident and said her control was completely taken from her and she was left feeling unable to trust herself and her intuition.

The second victim said she felt an overwhelming sense of shame and avoids personal relationships.

Lamperson sentenced the man to three-month consecutive jail sentences for each count.

In addition to prison time, the man will see a two-year probation period.

Brett Webber, Crown counsel, said he had no comment following Lamperson’s decision and Jeffrey Arndt, defence counsel, could not be reached for comment.



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Comments are closed

Just Posted

WorkSafeBC investigating serious incident at Trail landfill

Incident shuts down McKelvey Creek landfill Friday morning

Nelson and Rossland accepted as interveners in Supreme Court of Canada carbon pricing case

Victoria, Vancouver, Squamish, and Richmond also have intervener status

Rapping mom busts rhymes for Castlegar rec centre kid’s drop-in

Funny video with important message about importance of service

Byelection for rural Castlegar school trustee set

The election is to replace board chair Teri Ferworn

‘Things haven’t changed enough:’ Ecole Polytechnique anniversary prompts reflection

Fourteen women were fatally shot by a gunman at the Montreal school on Dec. 6, 1989

Second warning on romaine lettuce from California region as another E. coli case reported

Two cases of E. coli have been reported in relation to the illness in the U.S.

Residents in B.C. city could face 133% tax hike in ‘worst case’ lawsuit outcome: report

An average home could see a tax increase of $2,164 in one year

B.C. Transit finds 28 used fareboxes online, saves $300,000

‘Someone joked maybe we can buy used fareboxes on eBay,’ CEO says

Many of Canada’s working poor can’t afford lawyers, don’t qualify for legal aid

One lawyer says many people earn too much to qualify for legal aid, but not enough to really live on

Economy lost 71,200 jobs in November, unemployment rate climbs to 5.9%

Jobless rate is at its highest since August 2018, when it hit 6%

VIDEO: John Lennon’s iconic Rolls Royce rolls into Vancouver Island college for checkup

Royal BC Museum, Camosun College and Coachwerks Restorations come together to care for car

VIDEO: Rockslide closes part of Highway 93 in Fairmont Hot Springs

Geotechnical team called in to do an assessment after rocks fell from hoodoos

Petition calls for appeal of ex-Burns Lake mayor’s sentence for sex assault

Prosecution service says Luke Strimbold’s case is under review

Most Read