The fire department responded to the incident at 4:25 p.m. on Thursday afternoon. Photo: Connor Trembley

Nine firefighters help put out shed fire in Castlegar on Thursday afternoon

The fire started from a cigarette butt

A shed fire occurred near the intersection of Columbia Avenue and Eight Street in Castlegar on Thursday afternoon.

Sarah Courtemanche, an employee at the Kootenay Family Place, said she discovered the fire while working.

“My office was located right beside the shed and I only noticed the fire because my window was open,” said Courtemanche.

The fire spread due to dry vegetation and quickly made its way underneath and inside the shed.

Castlegar Fire Department (CFD) crews responded to the incident at 4:25 p.m. and discovered that a cigarette butt had started the blaze.

Despite the growth of the fire, nine firefighters helped to put the fire out at approximately 5:05 p.m. No adjacent buildings around the shed were damaged.

CFD fire chief Sam Lattanzio said everyone needs to make sure their cigarettes are extinguished and properly disposed of during these hot and dry conditions.

People also should be putting their cigarettes out with ashtrays or metal containers and not with their foot, according to Lattanzio.

Lattanzio said he wants to give a shoutout to a passerby who helped put to out the blaze.

“Before we got to the scene, a man who was driving past the fire stopped, got out of his car and helped nearby employees who were trying to put the fire out with a garden hose,” said Lattanzio.

“The good samaritan worked with the group to help temporarily contain the fire, which was really nice to see.”

Two fire engines and a fire truck also responded to the blaze.

RELATED STORY: Up to 138 firefighters now battling Talbot Creek Fire


@connortrembley
connor.trembley@castlegarnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Up to 90 people forced to evacuate Sandman Inn in Castlegar on Monday night

A heating appliance in hotel started to burn dust and caused smoke alarm to go off

School District 20 reports COVID case in Rossland school

A case of COVID-19 was reported at Rossland Summit School on Monday

RDCK rescinds evacuation alert for properties near Talbott Creek fire

Cooler and wetter condition are expected to help crews fight fire in coming days

Community comes together to create outdoor classroom at Kootenay school

Brent Kennedy Elementary has a new learning space thanks to an inspired teacher Kalesnikoff Lumber

Citing stability, B.C. Premier calls snap election for Oct. 24

John Horgan meets with Lieutenant Governor to request vote

COVID-19: 4 more deaths, 366 new cases in B.C. since Friday

A total of 8,208 people in B.C. have tested positive for COVID-19 since January

Vancouver Island sailor stranded in U.S. hospital after suffering massive stroke at sea

Oak Bay man was attempting to circumnavigate the world solo

Majority needed to pass COVID-19 budget, B.C. premier says

John Horgan pushes urgent care centres in first campaign stop

Public health officials urge Canadians to limit contacts again as COVID-19 cases rise

Canada has committed $1 billion to buy at least 154 million doses of vaccines from five different companies

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Vancouver Island family overwhelmed with 14 Lab puppies

Litter may be one of the biggest ever

B.C. could be without a new leader for multiple weeks after Election Day: officials

More than 20K mail-in voting packages were requested within a day of B.C. election being called

Most Read