One dog dead, two ill after apparent poisonings in Pass Creek

At least one dog was poisoned in the Pass Creek area this week, according to Castlegar RCMP, and two other dogs are ill with similar symptoms.

At least one dog was poisoned in the Pass Creek area this week, according to Castlegar RCMP, and two other dogs are ill with similar symptoms.

The first case was confirmed on March 8.

“Two additional dogs have exhibited symptoms which could be attributed to poison,” Sgt. Laurel Mathew said, adding that those symptoms include wobbly legs and a low heart rate in the animals.

“It is believed the dogs were loose outside of the dog owners’ yard when they were poisoned,” Mathew said.

One of the three dogs has died, she added, likely as a result of the poison in conjunction with old age.

“The RCMP would also like to warn anyone leaving a poison or hazardous material for animals that they could face serious consequences if identified,” Mathew said.

The investigation continues.