Saanich police say a family they were working to locate is safe and the investigation is closed. (Courtesy of Saanich police)

UPDATED: Saanich police say ‘missing’ family is safe, investigation closed

Police were working to ‘ensure the safety of the children,’ officer says

Saanich Police say a family reported missing last month have been located safe.

On Sept. 12, the department asked for help locating Bradley Cook, Melissa Trost and their two children who they believed to be travelling in B.C. or Alberta. Police say they were seeking information on the family’s whereabouts in order to assess their well-being.

The family themselves responded to the plea, telling media they were not missing at all. Saanich Police confirmed, shortly after, that the family wasn’t missing but that police wanted to locate them to “ensure the safety of the children.”

Saanich Police now say the family has been located and all members are safe. Const. Markus Anastasiades, public information officer for the Saanich police, said the investigation is closed.

“Investigators have now concluded this investigation and no further information will be released at this time.”

***

(Original release)

Police have confirmed the Saanich family that they are trying to find after failing to return back in Victoria for more than a week is not missing.

On Saturday, Sept. 12, Saanich Police Department issued an alert about a family of four whose whereabouts were unknown.

According to police, Bradley Michael Cook, 42, Melissa Renee Trost, 40, and their two young children, ages 4 and 2, were believed to be travelling somewhere in eastern B.C. or Alberta. They’d planned to return to Victoria on Sept. 4 but have not been seen.

A television station in Edmonton had reported they received an email from a man claiming to be Cook, saying that they weren’t missing and the police knew it.

The Saanich family then reportedly sent two photos to the Edmonton television station, each with one parent holding both their kids with a hand-written note for confirmation.

In several emails to the television station, the man claims their family is in a legal dispute involving the Saanich police department.

On Sunday morning, Cook told the television station that their family was in Edmonton.

Sgt. Markus Anastasiades, Saanich police media communications officer, confirmed in an email Sunday that the detachment wasn’t available for comment, but will have further discussions with investigators Monday.

READ ALSO: MISSING: VicPD continue search for high-risk missing 18-year-old


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

AlbertaBritish Columbiamissing personSaanich Police Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Katrine Conroy has won for the fifth time in the Kootenay West riding. Photo: Submitted
Katrine Conroy ready to tackle challenges after election

Conroy won the Kootenay West riding for the fifth time

Students at Stanley Humphries will be staging Nightmare on Seventh. L-R Emily Conley and Claire Cartwright are all dressed up and ready to go. Photo: Jennifer Small
Zombie apocalypse coming to Castlegar

High school students staging scary food drive

A view of the Burton Flats area. Photo: Submitted
Work progresses on man-made wetland near Burton

The project is already seeing modest results

Katrine Conroy
Katrine Conroy declared winner in Kootenay West

Preliminary results put NDP candidate firmly in the lead.

There are few details but neighbours a Second Avenue house in Chilliwack say a huge police presence descended on the home after shots were heard. (File photo)
RCMP looking for witnesses in $5000 auto part theft

Two catalytic converters valued around $5000 were taken Oct. 22

FILE – Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry provides the latest update on the COVID-19 pandemic in the province during a press conference in the press theatre at Legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Thursday, October 22, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
B.C. shatters COVID-19 records with 817 weekend cases; masks now expected indoors

Three people have died over the past three reporting periods

Commissioner Austin Cullen listens to introductions before opening statements at the Cullen Commission of Inquiry into Money Laundering in British Columbia, in Vancouver, on February 24, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. money laundering inquiry hears of $800,000 and more in bags, luggage, backpacks

The lottery corporation has said it consistently reported suspicious transactions to Fintrac

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Some of the characters in the League of Legends video game. (Photo: na.leagueoflegends.com)
E-sports trial at B.C. high schools to start with ‘League of Legends’ team game

For fall launch, Vancouver’s GameSeta company partners with BC School Sports

A nurse performs a test on a patient at a drive-in COVID-19 clinic in Montreal, on Wednesday, October 21, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
Interior Health sees 31 new cases of COVID-19 over record-breaking weekend

Eighty-six cases remain active and one person is hospitalized with the virus

RCMP have released more details regarding what led up to an arrest caught on video in Williams Lake Sunday, Oct. 26. (Facebook video screenshot)
Review launched after ‘high-risk, multi-jurisdictional’ chase, arrest in Williams Lake

RCMP launching a full review and code of conduct investigation

(Pxfuel)
B.C. limits events in private homes to household, plus ‘safe six’ amid COVID-19 surge

Henry issued a public health order limiting private gatherings to one household, plus a group of ‘safe six’ only

Most Read