Mike Bernier

Province delays launch of new school curriculum

Bernier unveils one-year extension, shift in timing of FSA tests

B.C. high school teachers and students have been given a one-year extension to start using the province’s new draft curriculum.

Education Minister Mike Bernier announced the delay Thursday morning, saying “it’s the right thing to do to make sure that we get it right for our students.”

Many teachers started using the draft grade 10 to 12 curriculum this past fall, and are providing feedback on its success with students, the ministry said.

The new curriculum, which emphasizes environmental education and aboriginal perspectives, has already been phased into Kindergarten to Grade 9 classrooms this year.

RELATED: Details on the new curriculum focus on “hands on” learning

The redesigned curriculum will be implemented at the beginning of the 2018 and 2019 school year, based on feedback provided by teachers and educators.

“The new curriculum has been designed by teachers for teachers – and thanks to their efforts it’s been successfully brought to life in kindergarten through Grade 9,” Bernier said. “The world is changing and our new curriculum is making sure our kids learn the skills they need to succeed in that changing world.

In other changes, the Foundation Skills Assessments (FSA) for Grade 4 and 7 students will now take place earlier in the school year – in the fall instead of the spring – so results can be used by teachers and parents to address any challenges a student may be having.

“Parents want to know how well their child and how well their child’s school is doing,” Bernier said.

“We are going to make sure they get that information in a way that’s useful to them.”

The province will also be releasing FSA test results differently, Bernier said, and look at “a wide range of education outcomes,” instead of just the test results.

Thursday’s news was welcomed by the BC Teachers Federation officials, who said they’re “pleased” to see the government listened to teachers.

 

 


@ashwadhwaniashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.caLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Two missing in Pend d’Oreille crash

A 15-year-old male and 18-year-old female both from Fruitvale are missing and presumed deceased

Judge: Nelson not liable for snowbank injury

A woman sued the city after injuring herself in 2015

Construction to start in a few weeks on Kalesnikoff’s $35 million project

Business expansion will create 50 new full-time jobs in the Castlegar area.

Castlegar economic development program helping businesses succeed

First year of program full of accomplishments

Provincial funds to reno Castlegar high school

$1.4 million for upgrades, new school busses

VIDEO: RCMP ask kids to help name soon-to-be police dogs

13 German shepherd puppies will be born this year

Nearly 40% of British Columbians not taking their medications correctly: poll

Introduction of legal cannabis could cause more issues for drug interactions

Mining company fined $70,000 after two workers killed in B.C. truck crash

Broda Construction pleaded guilty to failing to provide safe workplace at Cranbrook rock quarry

B.C. argues it cannot stop Trans Mountain, but it can protect environment

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says only Ottawa has the authority to decide what goes in trans-boundary pipelines

B.C. poverty plan combines existing spending, housing programs

Target is to lift 140,000 people out of poverty from 2016 level

Avalanche warning issued for all B.C. mountains

Warm weather to increase avalanche risk: Avalanche Canada

Temperature records dating back to 1947 broken in B.C.

The Squamish airport recorded the hottest temperature in the province (and Canada) on Sunday: 21.3 C

Privy Council clerk Michael Wernick retires in wake of SNC-Lavalin case

Jody Wilson-Raybould accused Wernick of pressuring her to head off criminal charges for the firm

Dutch tram shooting suspect arrested, say police

Police say three people were killed in the shooting Monday and five wounded

Most Read