School District 20 superintendent resigns, bus fees cut in half

The school district’s superintendent has resigned and new school bus fees approved last month have been slashed in half.

The school district’s superintendent has resigned and new school bus fees approved last month have been slashed in half.

Greg Luterbach, superintendent of School District 20, gave his notice approximately two weeks ago and will be leaving his position on Aug. 1. The board has already approved Bill Ford, the current assistant superintendent, as Luterbach’s replacement.

“We’re really pleased to make that announcement and we’re really sad to lose Greg,” said Teri Ferworn, chair of the board.

As of yet, no replacement has been found for the assistant superintendent position.

“We are going to be meeting next week to discuss what we’ll be doing around that,” said Ferworn. “Because this is an ideal time that if we want[ed] to make any administrative changes that we would be able to do that.”

The board has also agreed to cut busing fees in half after the district was allowed to keep “$178,000 of funding originally required to go back to government.” The decision was made at a closed board meeting on Tuesday, June 7 and parents were informed on Friday.

“We approved $125,000 of that going directly to reduce the busing fees by 50 per cent, and the remaining [$53,000] is going to repair projects on buildings in the district,” explained Ferworn.

Repair projects include repairs to the Stanley Humphries Secondary School roofs.

“They’re minor projects, because there wasn’t enough money for major projects,” said Ferworn.

Anyone who already registered and paid will have 50 per cent of what they paid refunded electronically. The district says those refunds will be processed sometime this week.

Wednesday, June 15 at 11 p.m. is still the deadline for early bird pricing. Anyone wishing to pay via the 10-month payment plan should still register between Thursday, June 16 and Sunday, July 31.

 

Just Posted

Born 1 pound, 11 ounces, Winlaw premature baby comes home

Indra Greaves was born at the Nelson hospital after just 24 weeks of gestation

Rebels beef up blueline as trade deadline closes

Tyson Soobotin, 18, was playing for the Nelson Leafs, and Elijah Havers, 17, joins the team from the Coyotes in Osooyoos

Scammers using Castlegar home for rental fraud

Local realtors say the problem is happening more frequently with their properties

Updated: Outbreak prompts advisory for visitors to extended care wing in Trail hospital

A respiratory infection has been active in Poplar Ridge Pavilion since Monday, advises IH

Trail area homicide investigation continues

Jan. 14 marked one year since Jordan Workman was discovered in the trunk of a burnt car

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read