Michael Marchand of the Colville Tribes in Washington outside the courthouse in Nelson when Richard Desautel was acquitted last month. Bill Metcalfe photo.

Province appeals Sinixt hunting case

The appeal is expected to be heard in the fall.

The provincial crown is appealing the acquittal last month of a Sinixt man from the U.S. who was charged with hunting without a licence and hunting while not being a resident.

In 2010, Richard Desautel shot an elk near Castlegar, resulting in a 16-day trial in Provincial Court in Nelson earlier this year. Judge Lisa Mrozinski acquitted him on the grounds that even though he did not live in Canada he was part of an aboriginal “rights-bearing group.”

The appeal will be heard in B.C. Supreme Court in Nelson, probably in the fall of 2017.

The Notice of Appeal asserts that the judge was mistaken in her ruling that a person resident in the U.S. can have an aboriginal right to hunt, or any other aboriginal right, in Canada.

The crown says the judge was also mistaken in her ruling that a group residing in the U.S. can be a “rights-bearing aboriginal collective for the purposes of section 35 of the Constitution (the section that recognizes aboriginal and treaty rights in Canada).”

In a news release, Michael Marchand of the Confederated Colville Tribes in Washington State said, “We will not be deterred by this predictable move by the B.C. government. The Colville Tribes is absolutely committed to restore the rights of the Sinixt people. We’re prepared to fight for them for as long as it takes to win.”

The provincial crown prosecutor’s office declined to comment.

Just Posted

CASTLEGAR COUNCIL BRIEFS: New reporting requirements for conferences

Council looks at downtown area plan, airport parking and Columbia Ave. update.

Explicit Safer Sex Guide given to Creston elementary students as resource

The booklet clearly states online and inside that the guide contains sexually explicit information and is meant for mature audiences.

Governments announce $53M to buy Grand Forks properties, fix river banks destroyed in flooding

The Boundary Flood Recovery team applied for the grant last January

Castlegar Millennium Ponds opening soon

The ponds will be open for swimming any day.

Castlegar council approves Columbia Ave. Phase 2 cross section

Three traffic lanes, bicycle lane, sidewalks, furniture, baskets, banners and trees part of plan

VIDEO: Driver doing laps in busy Vancouver intersections nets charges

Toyota Camry spotted doing laps in intersection, driving towards pedestrians

Every situation is different, jurors hear at coroners inquest into Oak Bay teen’s overdose death

Pediatrician says involuntary treatment necessary following overdose, opioid use

RCMP across Canada to soon unionize, according to B.C. mayor

A spokeswoman for RCMP headquarters in Ottawa says it’s not yet a done deal

Driver has $240K McLaren impounded minutes after buying it in West Vancouver

Officers clocked the car travelling at 160 km/h along Highway 1 in a 90 km/h zone

Fundraiser for Sparwood cancer patient raises over $80k

“Friday was something I won’t ever forget,” said Sparwood’s Barry Marchi.

Former Vernon Judo coach pleads guilty to child pornography charges

Bryan Jeffrey McLachlan is set to return to court Sept. 4 for sentencing

B.C. Olympic skier sues Alpine Canada after coach’s sex offences

Bertrand Charest was convicted in 2017 on 37 charges

Case of missing Kootenay teen still unsolved 50 years later

Phillip Porter, age 16, disappeared near his home in Kimberley on June 26, 1969

Most Read