Police have made an arrest related to some suspicious fires on Aug. 12 outside of a Castlegar business.
Surveillance footage from the business on Minto Road showed a man cutting up cardboard and compiling items on the ground, lighting the pile on fire, putting it out and then repeating the process several times, according to RCMP Sgt. Monty Taylor.
Taylor said there was minimal damage to the building as it was constructed of brick.
The suspect was identified through the video and a 28-year-old man was arrested and held in custody for a consultation with the virtual bail centre.
Taylor explained virtual bail is a telecommunication process used when arrests are made outside of regular working hours.
“At the time, Crown declined to approve a charge of arson or mischief and referred the matter to the local Crown office,” said Taylor.
The suspect was then released from custody.
Castlegar police have now presented a request for a mischief charge to local prosecutors.
“Even though damage is minimal, we are concerned about the risk to the public,” said Taylor.
The suspect is scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 20.
His name will not be released until charges have officially been laid.
Taylor reports that Castlegar police have 25 suspicious fire files so far in 2023. During all of 2022, they had just five.
READ MORE: Castlegar sees 8 suspicious fires in 8 days
here to have local stories delivered straight to your inbox.